Topics

Thursday, July 23, 2026

Can True Change Happen After Betrayal?

Can God Bring True Redemption After Betrayal?

When someone asks whether true change can really happen after betrayal, I understand the weight behind the question. Betrayal cuts deep. It leaves the wounded spouse wondering if the person they married is still capable of becoming trustworthy again. It leaves the one who failed wondering if they are forever defined by their worst decision. I want to speak to both hearts today. 

The short answer is yes—true change is possible. But it is not automatic, and it is not produced by willpower alone. Real transformation begins when a person is made new in Christ. 

Scripture says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new” (2 Corinthians 5:17). This is not poetic language. It is a declaration that God can reach into the deepest part of a person and change what they love, what they pursue, and how they treat the people closest to them. The old patterns of secrecy, selfishness, and self-protection can be put to death. A new way of living can take their place. 

I have watched this kind of change happen, and I have experienced the need for it in my own life. Before my wife and I came to faith in Jesus, I committed adultery. I know the shame that follows. I know the fear of never being able to repair what you destroyed. And I know the difference between regret and repentance. Regret feels sorry about the consequences. Repentance turns away from the sin itself and surrenders the heart to God for cleansing and renewal. Without that deeper work, old patterns eventually return. 

True change shows itself in more than words. It shows itself in a new posture. The person who once hid now chooses transparency. The person who once protected their own comfort now learns to love sacrificially. Ephesians 5:25 gives us the model: “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her.” Christ did not love the church because she was already faithful. He loved her and gave Himself up in order to make her holy. That same kind of self-giving love becomes the pattern for a repentant spouse. It looks like consistent honesty, patient rebuilding, and a willingness to lay down personal freedoms for the sake of restoring trust. 

Love that endures is described clearly in 1 Corinthians 13. It “bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.” This is not soft sentiment. It is resilient commitment. It keeps hoping and keeps enduring even when the road of restoration is long. That kind of love is only possible when Christ is at work inside a person. 

I also want to be honest about what change does not mean. It does not mean the past is erased from memory. It does not mean trust returns overnight. And it does not mean the betrayed spouse is required to pretend the wound never happened. Forgiveness can be given as an act of obedience to Christ. Trust, however, is rebuilt slowly through proven character over time. The two are related, but they are not the same. 

 

The story of Zacchaeus helps me here. He was a man known for greed and dishonesty. Yet when he encountered Jesus, something real happened inside him. He did not just say he was sorry. He stood up and declared that he would give half his goods to the poor and restore fourfold anything he had taken dishonestly (Luke 19:8). Jesus responded, “Today salvation has come to this house.” Genuine transformation produces visible fruit. When Christ changes a heart, the change becomes evident in humility, accountability, and a new direction. 

If you are the one who has betrayed your spouse, I want to urge you: do not settle for remorse. Ask God to give you a new heart. Invite accountability. Practice radical honesty. Accept that rebuilding trust will take time and that you carry the greater responsibility for demonstrating change. The path is hard, but it is not hopeless. 

If you are the one who has been betrayed, I want to encourage you as well. You are not required to rush trust. You are allowed to need time. At the same time, do not close the door on what God can do. He specializes in bringing life out of places that feel dead. He can restore what feels beyond repair—if both hearts remain soft before Him. 

Redemption after betrayal is possible because of the gospel. Christ does not merely forgive the past; He transforms the person. He replaces a hard heart with a living one. He teaches sacrificial love where selfishness once ruled. He gives endurance where quitting feels easier. The past does not have to write the final chapter. 

I have seen God rebuild marriages that looked finished. I have lived the reality that no failure is beyond the reach of His grace. The road is rarely quick and never easy. But with Christ at the center, true change can happen. New beginnings remain possible. 

 

#TrueChange #Repentance #NewCreation #MarriageRestoration #BiblicalHope #Forgiveness #TrustRebuilt #GodsGrace #ChristianMarriage #Redemption 

 

Book: “I Cannot Give You What I Do Not Have: Finding Unconditional Love in Christ” 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0GQB4MJYW

 

Study Guide: “I Cannot Give You What I Do Not Have: Companion Study Guide: Healing Generational Wounds Through 40 Devotions” 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0H33MHYMY

No comments: