Topics

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Division VI Overview The Prophecies of the Great Deliverer: The Suffering Servant of God, the Savior of the World, Isaiah 49:1–57:21

Isaiah now turns to some of the most significant prophecies in the Old Testament, prophecies of incomparable magnitude. No doubt, they are among the most quoted. The subject is the Savior, the coming Messiah, who would come to earth as the humble Servant of God and give His life for the sins of the world.

The Savior’s mission is to save; His call to every person in the world is to be saved. No matter how wicked or wretched a person is, Isaiah proclaims the hope of deliverance and of a glorious future to all who will repent and turn back to God. The great invitation of the Savior is not only to the Jew, but to every person on the face of the earth. All may come and drink freely of the living water offered by Him, for the price of their redemption has already been paid.

No greater messages have ever been preached than those of Isaiah’s prophecies—the good news of the Suffering Servant of God dying for the sins of the world. The Messiah can save, and He will save. He will save all who truly trust in Him, repent of their sins, and follow in His steps of righteousness. This is the glorious message preached by Isaiah, the prophecies of the great Deliverer, the Suffering Servant of God, the Savior of the world. 

The Savior’s Mission to the World:

Being Eternally Called to Reach the World for God, Isaiah 49:1–50:11 

Isaiah 49:1-26 Listen to me, all of you in far-off lands: The Lord called me before my birth. From within the womb, he called me by my name. 2God will make my words of judgment sharp as swords. He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand; I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver.

3He said to me: “You are my servant, a prince of power a with God, and you shall bring me glory.”

4I replied, “But my work for them seems all in vain; I have spent my strength for them without response. Yet I leave it all with God for my reward.”

5“And now,” said the Lord—the Lord who formed me from my mother’s womb to serve him who commissioned me to restore to him his people Israel, who has given me the strength to perform this task and honored me for doing it!—6“you shall do more than restore Israel to me. I will make you a Light to the nations of the world to bring my salvation to them too.”

7The Lord, the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel, says to the One who is despised, rejected by mankind, and kept beneath the heel of the world’s rulers: “Kings shall stand at attention when you pass by; princes shall bow low because the Lord has chosen you; he, the faithful Lord, the Holy One of Israel, chooses you.”

8-9The Lord says, “Your request has come at a favorable time. I will keep you from harm and give you as a token and pledge to Israel, proof that I will reestablish the land of Israel and reassign it to its own people again. Through you, I am saying to the prisoners of darkness, ‘Come out! I am giving you your freedom!’ They will be my sheep, grazing in green pastures and on the grassy hills. 10They shall neither hunger nor thirst; the searing sun and scorching desert winds will not reach them anymore. For the Lord in his mercy will lead them beside the cool waters. 11And I will make my mountains into level paths for them; the highways shall be raised above the valleys. 12See, my people shall return from far away, from north, west, and south.”

13Sing for joy, O heavens; shout, O earth. Break forth with song, O mountains, for the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion upon them in their sorrow.

14Yet they say, “My Lord deserted us; he has forgotten us.”

15“Never! Can a mother forget her little child and not have love for her own son? Yet even if that should be, I will not forget you. 16See, I have tattooed your name upon my palm, and ever before me is a picture of Jerusalem’s walls in ruins. 17Soon your rebuilders shall come and chase away all those destroying you. 18Look and see, for the Lord has vowed that all your enemies shall come and be your slaves. They will be as jewels to display, as bridal ornaments.

19“Even the most desolate parts of your abandoned land shall soon be crowded with your people, and your enemies who enslaved you shall be far away. 20The generations born in exile shall return and say, ‘We need more room! It’s crowded here!’ 21Then you will think to yourself, ‘Who has given me all these? For most of my children were killed, and the rest were carried away into exile, leaving me here alone. Who bore these? Who raised them for me?’”

22The Lord God says, “See, I will give a signal to the Gentiles, and they shall carry your little sons back to you in their arms, and your daughters on their shoulders. 23Kings and queens shall serve you; they shall care for all your needs. They shall bow to the earth before you and lick the dust from off your feet; then you shall know I am the Lord. Those who wait for me shall never be ashamed.”

24Who can snatch the prey from the hands of a mighty man? Who can demand that a tyrant let his captives go? 25But the Lord says, “Even the captives of the most mighty and most terrible shall all be freed; for I will fight those who fight you, and I will save your children. 26I will feed your enemies with their own flesh, and they shall be drunk with rivers of their own blood. All the world shall know that I, the Lord, am your Savior and Redeemer, the Mighty One of Israel.”

Isaiah 50:1-11 The Lord asks, Did I sell you to my creditors? Is that why you aren’t here? Is your mother gone because I divorced her and sent her away? No, you went away as captives because of your sins. And your mother, too, was taken in payment for your sins. 2Was I too weak to save you? Is that why the house is silent and empty when I come home? Have I no longer power to deliver? No, that is not the reason! For I can rebuke the sea and make it dry! I can turn the rivers into deserts, covered with dying fish. 3I am the one who sends the darkness out across the skies.

4The Lord God has given me his words of wisdom so that I may know what I should say to all these weary ones. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will. 5The Lord God has spoken to me, and I have listened; I do not rebel nor turn away. 6I give my back to the whip, and my cheeks to those who pull out the beard. I do not hide from shame—they spit in my face.

7Because the Lord God helps me, I will not be dismayed; therefore, I have set my face like flint to do his will, and I know that I will triumph. 8He who gives me justice is near. Who will dare to fight against me now? Where are my enemies? Let them appear! 9See, the Lord God is for me! Who shall declare me guilty? All my enemies shall be destroyed like old clothes eaten up by moths!

10Who among you fears the Lord and obeys his Servant? If such men walk in darkness, without one ray of light, let them trust the Lord, let them rely upon their God. 11But see here, you who live in your own light and warm yourselves from your own fires and not from God’s; you will live among sorrows.[1] (Isaiah49:1–50:11

The Savior’s Mission to the World:

Being Eternally Called to Reach the World for God, Isaiah 

Jesus suffers long, Jesus is kind; Jesus does not envy; Jesus does not parade Himself, Jesus is not puffed up; Jesus does not behave rudely, Jesus does not seek His own, Jesus is not provoked, Jesus thinks no evil; Jesus does not rejoice in iniquity, Jesus rejoices in the truth; Jesus bears all things, Jesus believes all things, Jesus hopes all things, Jesus endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)[2] 

Introduction: God loves the world. He loves every single person in the world, including murderers, abusers, oppressors, liars, thieves, wife-beaters, naggers, complainers, agnostics, and atheists. Even when people curse, reject, and defy Him, God loves them. No matter how people treat God, He still loves them. He wants to save all people from the terrifying judgment that is coming against all their ungodliness and unrighteousness. Because of His love for the world, God sent His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to deliver the human race from the coming judgment (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

This present Scripture proclaims the Savior’s mission to the world. God sent Christ into the world to save and help people: the unbelievers; the discouraged who feel deserted, alienated, forsaken, forgotten; the weary and heavily burdened; and the whole human race. This is, The Savior’s Mission to the World: Being Eternally Called to Reach the World for God, 49:1–50:11.



a 49:3  a prince of power, or “Israel.”

[1] Taylor, Kenneth Nathaniel. 1997. The Living Bible, Paraphrased. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House.

[2] The New King James Version. 1982. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

No comments: