Topics

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Set Free Through the Redeemer, the Lord Your God: A Study of Redemption

The Source of Redemption: The Lord 

The Enormous Price God Paid To Ransom His People

Is The Subject of The Present Scripture. 

But now the Lord who created you, O Israel, says: Don’t be afraid, for I have ransomed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. 2When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up—the flames will not consume you. 3For I am the Lord your God, your Savior, the Holy One of Israel. I gave Egypt and Ethiopia and Seba to Cyrusa in exchange for your freedom, as your ransom. 4Others died that you might live; I traded their lives for yours because you are precious to me and honored, and I love you.

5Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. I will gather you from east and west, 6from north and south. I will bring my sons and daughters back to Israel from the farthest corners of the earth. 7All who claim me as their God will come, for I have made them for my glory; I created them. 8Bring them back to me—blind as they are and deaf when I call (although they see and hear!).

9Gather the nations together! Which of all their idols ever has foretold such things? Which can predict a single day ahead? Where are the witnesses of anything they said? If there are no witnesses, then they must confess that only God can prophesy.

10But I have witnesses, O Israel, says the Lord! You are my witnesses and my servants, chosen to know and to believe me and to understand that I alone am God. There is no other God; there never was and never will be. 11I am the Lord, and there is no other Savior. 12Whenever you have thrown away your idols, I have shown you my power. With one word I have saved you. You have seen me do it; you are my witnesses that it is true. 13From eternity to eternity I am God. No one can oppose what I do.

14The Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, says: For your sakes I will send an invading army against Babylon that will walk in, almost unscathed. The boasts of the Babylonians will turn to cries of fear. 15I am the Lord, your Holy One, Israel’s Creator and King. 16I am the Lord, who opened a way through the waters, making a path right through the sea. 17I called forth the mighty army of Egypt with all its chariots and horses, to lie beneath the waves, dead, their lives snuffed out like candlewicks.

18But forget all that—it is nothing compared to what I’m going to do! 19For I’m going to do a brand-new thing. See, I have already begun! Don’t you see it? I will make a road through the wilderness of the world for my people to go home, and create rivers for them in the desert! 20The wild animals in the fields will thank me, the jackals and ostriches too, for giving them water in the wilderness, yes, springs in the desert, so that my people, my chosen ones, can be refreshed. 21I have made Israel for myself, and these my people will some day honor me before the world.

22But O my people, you won’t ask my help; you have grown tired of me! 23You have not brought me the lambs for burnt offerings; you have not honored me with sacrifices. Yet my requests for offerings and incense have been very few! I have not treated you as slaves. 24You have brought me no sweet-smelling incense nor pleased me with the sacrificial fat. No, you have presented me only with sins and wearied me with all your faults.

25I, yes, I alone am he who blots away your sins for my own sake and will never think of them again. 26Oh, remind me of this promise of forgiveness, for we must talk about your sins. Plead your case for my forgiving you. 27From the very first your ancestors sinned against me—all your forebears transgressed my law. 28That is why I have deposed your priests and destroyed Israel, leaving her to shame.[1] 

Set Free Through the Redeemer, the Lord Your God: A Study of Redemption, 43:1–28

 

The Source of Redemption: The Lord

The Promises of The Redeemer

The Failure of God’s People To Live Like The Redeemed

 

Set Free Through the Redeemer, the Lord Your God:

A Study of Redemption, 43:1–28

 

(43:1) Introduction: people can be kidnapped to be sold as slaves, for sexual pleasure, for building up a workforce, for revenge, or for a host of other reasons. When a ransom is demanded for the release of the kidnapped person, the cost is usually huge.

The enormous price God paid to ransom His people is the subject of the present Scripture. In the previous chapter, Isaiah said that the people of his day were continuing in their sin and refusing to turn back to the Lord. As a result, God’s anger burned against them (42:23–25). Now we would expect God’s hand of judgment to immediately fall upon the Israelites. We would expect Him to abandon and destroy them. But the very opposite is true. God is longsuffering and not willing that any person should perish and be doomed to eternal separation from Him. With a broken heart over the people’s failure, the Lord reached out to ransom them from both their sins and their enemies. Remember that Isaiah had predicted the destruction of Jerusalem and the exile of the Jewish people. But he had also predicted that the Persians would miraculously free God’s people from their Babylonian captivity (41:1–20). Furthermore, the Lord would set them free from all the enslavements and bondages of this life through the coming of God’s very special Servant, the Messiah (42:1–25). Now God declares that His people can be set free through the wonderful redemption provided by the Lord. This is Set Free Through the Redeemer, the Lord Your God: A Study of Redemption, 43:1–28.

1.         The Source of Redemption: The Lord (V. 1).

2.         The promises of the Redeemer (vv. 2–21).

3.         The failure of God’s people to live like the redeemed (vv. 22–28). 

The Source of Redemption: The Lord 

“But now the Lord who created you, O Israel, says: Don’t be afraid, for I have ransomed you; I have called you by name; you are mine.” [2] (Isaiah 43:1 TLB) 

“BUT NOW [in spite of past judgments for Israel’s sins], thus says the Lord, He Who created you, O Jacob, and He Who formed you, O Israel: Fear not, for I have redeemed you [ransomed you by paying a price instead of leaving you captives]; I have called you by your name; you are Mine.” [3] (Isaiah 43:1 AMP

The Source of Redemption is the Lord Himself. Despite Israel’s continued sin and rejection of Him, the Lord still loved His people. He still reached out in mercy and goodness to them. “Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound” (Ro. 5:20). Looking ahead to the terrible hardships His people would face, the Lord wanted them to know that He would not forsake them. He would reach out to rescue them. Remember that Isaiah was predicting the Babylonian captivity, which still lay ahead for the Jews. The Lord promises to be with His people, even in the midst of such a terrifying experience as enslavement and exile. This verse is one of the great promises in the Holy Bible: 

a. In the midst of their awful affliction, the people needed to remember a significant fact: the Lord Himself had created and formed them into the nation of Israel. The words created and formed are the same words used to describe the creation of man and woman (Ge. 1:1; 2:7). Thus, Israel is as much a creation of the Lord as the human race is. God has a distinctive purpose for each, a purpose that must be fulfilled, just as His Word states. Although the Israelites would be exiled and scattered throughout the Babylonian Empire, those who trusted the Lord could rest assured that He would not forget them. They were still His chosen people, created by His own hand. True, due to the destruction of Jerusalem and the exile of the people, Israel’s future as a nation looked very bleak. Nothing less than extinction was staring Israel in the face.1 

b. But note how God encouraged His people: He told them two things they needed to remember. First, He had redeemed them. In the very midst of their hardship, they could know that God would redeem them again. Their deliverance from the Babylonian captivity was as good as done. The day would come when they would be set free from their bondage and sufferings. Centuries earlier, the Lord had delivered His people from Egyptian bondage. Now He was promising to deliver them from their captivity in Babylon. But the Lord wanted His people to know a second fact: He knew every one of them personally and called each by name. They were His people, and He was very concerned about them. They were bound to Him in a unique way, for He had a very special purpose for them. Remember that when Israel or the Jews are being discussed, their relationship to the Lord was based upon God’s purpose for them, a threefold purpose that blessed the entire world:

Ø  They were the people through whom God would send His Son, the promised seed, the Lord Jesus Christ into the world.

Ø  They were the people through whom God would send His Word, the Holy Bible, to the world.

Ø  They were the people God chose to be His witnesses to the world that He is the only living and true God. 

Thought 1. The source of redemption is the Lord Himself. Only the Lord can save us from the enslavement of sin, death, and hell. Being enslaved to sin means that we cannot keep from sinning. All of us sin because we have inherited a depraved nature from our parents (Ro. 5:12). Consequently, we cannot keep from sinning. We cannot live a perfect or righteous life. And since we have inherited a corruptible nature from our parents, we are also enslaved by death. From the day we are born, we are ever progressing to that inevitable day when our bodies will return to dust. But because God loves us, He has provided redemption for us. Jesus Christ paid the ransom for us by giving His life for us. We are redeemed by the shed blood of Christ. This is exactly what God’s Holy Word says:

V  “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” (Ro. 3:23–24).

V  “But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption” (1 Co. 1:30).

V  “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree” (Ga. 3:13).

V  “In whom [Christ] we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins” (Col. 1:14).

V  “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works” (Tit. 2:13–14).

V  “Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by His own blood He entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (He. 9:12–14).

V  “Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot” (1 Pe. 1:18–19).

V  “And they sang a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation” (Re. 5:9).[4] 

1 But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.[5] 

Remember, our redeemer, our true Father in Heaven has created, formed, redeemed, and called us by name, we are His, and this is more than enough reason to fear not, for our Father God has said we are His.



a 43:3  to Cyrus, implied.

[1] Taylor, Kenneth Nathaniel. 1997. The Living Bible, Paraphrased. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House.

[2] Taylor, Kenneth Nathaniel. 1997. The Living Bible, Paraphrased. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House.

[3] The Amplified Bible. 1987. La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.

1 H.C. Leupold. Exposition of Isaiah, Vol.1. (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1968), p. 78.

[4] Leadership Ministries Worldwide. 2005. Isaiah: Chapters 36–66. Vol. II. The Preacher’s Outline & Sermon Bible. Chattanooga, TN: Leadership Ministries Worldwide.

[5] The Holy Bible: King James Version. 1995. Electronic ed. of the 1769 edition of the 1611 Authorized Version. Bellingham WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

No comments: